Chief Technical Officer
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Tampa Bay Water, the largest wholesale drinking water supplier in the southeastern United States, is seeking a science and technology expert to fill our Chief Technical Officer position. This executive team-level position will help in fulfilling our mission to reliably supply water to the Tampa Bay region 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, 365 days per year. This motivated and skilled individual will manage the agency’s Science and Technology Division, leading the agency in:
- Water supply planning;
- Regulatory compliance;
- Demand management and conservation;
- Demand forecasting and modeling;
- Water use permitting;
- Environmental management; and,
- Information technology.
Our success is driven by people who thrive in our government environment and this position is primarily focused on long-term and big-picture water supply issues to support our mission. If you share these values and meet the listed qualifications for this position, please complete our application. Please submit your application and resume to email@example.com. Resumes submitted without a completed Application will not be considered.
The Chief Technical Officer reports to the General Manager. Successful candidates will:
- Have extensive experience in water resources planning and management and demonstrate knowledge in regulatory requirements for water supply utilities, to include water use and drinking water permitting, environmental management, strategic planning, water supply research, and computer modeling.
- Spearhead the agency’s water supply planning function and reporting regularly to the Executive Team on long and short-term planning efforts to best inform decisions related to water supply delivery and infrastructure.
- Be responsible for the direction, planning and organization of all decision support, modeling, demand management, long-term and short-term water supply planning, research, environmental permitting and monitoring, mitigation and laboratory functions of the agency.
- Serve as the lead technical expert and scientist for the agency and directly supports the General Manager, General Counsel, Board of Directors and other division managers, councils and commissions of the agency member governments.
- Serve as agency spokesperson and advocate on topics related to agency’s science, planning and technology policies and procedures.
- Support colleagues on the Executive Team in managing staffing, succession planning, employee compensation, strategic planning, performance metrics and regulatory compliance.
- Provide reports and presentations to the Board of Directors, member government staff, regulatory agencies, business community and other stakeholders as needed to educate, advocate and communicate the agencies scientific, planning and technology policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with the Master Water Supply Contract, Interlocal Agreement, Florida Statutes and Federal rules and regulations on issues pertaining to environmental and water supply planning, permitting, and water sampling and testing.
- Facilitate coordination of Science and Technology staff with Water Production staff to ensure the daily delivery of water to the member governments using the best combination of water supply sources.
- Participate and advocate for the Agency’s continuous improvement efforts through implementation of an Environmental Management System that conforms to ISO 14001 standards.
- Ensure the implementation of the Information Technology Strategic Plan and on-going coordination between the information technology group and other agency departments to ensure continuous service and technical support.
Disaster Service Worker: Employees of Tampa Bay Water are, by State and Federal law, Disaster Service Workers. In the event of a declaration of emergency, any employee may be assigned activities that promote the protection of public health and safety or the preservation of lives and property, either at the Agency or within the local or their own community.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ten (10) years of experience in comprehensive knowledge of water resources planning and management.
- Five (5) years of experience in a managerial capacity with demonstrated experience in the administrative aspects of the work, to include budget development and administration; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Extensive experience with water supply planning, permitting, monitoring and technology management, preferably in a governmental environment.
- Experience in process implementation and required internal controls. Strong analytical and administrative skills and negotiation skills to interface with vendors, suppliers and internal management.
- Experience with and understanding of computer systems and data bases.
- Experience developing, implementing and maintaining effective policies to improve efficiency.
- Knowledge of computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, etc.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- MS/MBA in water resources engineering, water sciences, or related field required. PhD preferred; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
REQUIRED LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS:
PREFERRED LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS:
- Registered as a Professional Engineer in the State of Florida, or the ability to transfer the Professional Engineering license from another state to the State of Florida license within six months of employment.
SALARY RANGE: $95,017 to $156,779 (actual salary will be commensurate with experience).
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Tampa Bay Water is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and offer employment opportunities to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, marital status veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. We recognize veteran’s preference as provided by Florida Law and we are committed to a drug free workplace.